Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Intern Fashion: "OFF WITH TH....that JACKET!"

Hello, my darling internees!

A few days ago, I sent my fabulous blog link to my Mom for her to take a peeksee at!

Before even discussing my blog-a-roni, she mentions "Did you know you're not supposed to wear necklaces with ruffles? See, if it wasn't for the woman on TV, I never would have known that!"

Ahhh, BINGO!

Gracias, my dearest Mommy, for reminding me of an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT topic!

Professional Attire.

What do you wear to an internship or interview?

I am NOT an expert on fashion.

I am a girl, so I like fashion.
And I sure as hell know when something looks hideous. (Or fabulous!)
But thank goodness for Michael Kors and other peeps who know fashion like the back of their fabulous hands!

Therefore, I am bringing in the experts.

No, not Donatella.

Wardrobe 911 is a helpful site for you fabulous female interns who are in need of some serious FA-Shion advice.

Here are a few of the tips they offer:

Pencil skirts: a must have for the workforce! Make sure to keep it knee-length, any shorter is an absolute no-no. (Unless you're interning at Hooters.)

Jackets or boyfriend jackets will help to dress down any casual khakis. Make sure to accessorize with more colorful necklaces.

Cashmere cardigans in pastel/neutral colors. You never would want to wear neon to an internship. (Unless your internship is for a company that hosts RAVES.)

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY AN ARM AND A LEG FOR CUTE CLOTHES! Check out XXI, TJ MAXX, and Express!

Gentlemen! I have not forgotten about you! Check out Boardroom Ties for what NOT to wear to an internship.

More Formal = Grab those penguin suits and ties. Less Formal = Khakis and Polos.

Gentlemen, for you: Banana Republic, Macy's, and Kohl's! (Plus, as ZZ Top once said, "Every girl crazy for a sharp dressed man.")

KEEP IN MIND, THIS COULD BE YOUR FUTURE JOB!
So, don't dress like a slob!
A few more tips for you:
  • ALWAYS ask your boss about the dress code first!
  • It's always better to overdress rather than underdress.
  • Think of these words when dressing for your internship: Neat, Classy, Professional.
  • Keep the colors neutral.
  • Don't over-bling. Clubbing jewelry belongs at the club, not the office.
  • And remove the ring in your nose or eyebrow or anywhere else. Sorry. NO.
  • For heaven's sake, nothing see-through.
Want more fabulous fashion help? Check out Penn State University's newspaper The Daily Collegian for their article on internship fashion do's and don'ts.
Don't have your boss saying, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD".
Rather, turn heads with your fantastic internship styling skills!
Happy Interning (& Shopping)!
Love, Alice

2 comments:

  1. Great advice Alice! ; ) I know how to look fashionable and professional for my next big interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!Omg I love your post. Seriously I think you are completely right the less the better!! As an intern you have to dress to impress, that could be your future job!!! Some people think in order to dress well they have to own a wardrobe the size of Texas …Wrong..Wrong… you can always mix and match.
    Here is a little tip I’d like to share with your female followers: matching your earrings, shoes and handbag,in the same outfit is sooo last season… play with the colors!!!
    love!
    missthinwallet

    ReplyDelete