Saturday, September 12, 2009

To Pay an Intern or Not to Pay an Intern? That is the Question.

Dear Internees,
A topic many will argue, and I will often touch upon, is PAY OR NO PAY.
Let's face it. We're STARVING college students. We work our part-time jobs. We take 12+ credits. Sports, activities, studies, and let's not forget our social lives.
So, when it comes to an internship, what do you do when it comes to getting paid.
Take me, for instance!
I am an unpaid intern, but I face a dilemma.
I drive 3 times a week to my PR Firm that is an 1 hr. and 45 mins. away from my house.
Pshtt. That's a TON of driving.
I have continued this internship through the fall, so now I am taking 17 credits, working a paying part-time job
AND
doing this unpaid internship.
I've been there 6 months.
Do I ask for a stipend or do I continue gaining the experience without the moola?
Let me start by saying you NEED the experience. An internship will teach you more things than any University.
I PROMISE.
So experience always weights out the $$.
SO.
What are your thoughts? I would first love to see how others feel about this situation.
Second, check out this recent article from Forbes and one from the University of Nebraska at Omaha at http://media.www.unogateway.com/media/storage/paper968/news/2009/08/25/News/College.Students.Struggle.To.Gain.Experience.And.Pay.Their.Bills-3756970.shtml about hiring interns. Tell me what you think.
Let's get some comments and discussion going and revisit the subject when we all don't feel so BROKE.
Happy Interning!
Love- Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment