Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Interns, Don't Bite Off More Than You Can Chew!

A nice analogy for my dearest internees!

In the REAL Wonderland, Alice has this issue with becoming too small or too big.

If you remember the 1951 film, Alice eats part of a mushroom and she grows so big that she ends up stuck in a house.
What does this have to do with internships, you ask?
I will tell you.

Ask Intern Alice Tip:
  • Treat your life like a mushroom. If you eat too much of it, you become too big, get too overwhelmed. Although, it is awesome to have the opportunity to be involved with internships, keep in mind, the other things you have in your life. I'll use mine as an example. I work (a paying job), intern, school, and I also do volunteer work. I am often on overload because I perhaps, have bitten off a bit too much of my mushroom. Sometimes, things like my social life or even my school work, tend to suffer because one class is more demanding than another or I had to pick up a shift at my job or I have to work an event for my internship. Plus, if I am stressed, I will often fall ill. Which, with a busy schedule, does nothing bu create more problems. I want you to stay happy, healthy, loving life interns! Not miserable, stressed, frazzled interns.

Say you're like me and you're saying, "But Alice, I can DO THIS! I want to do this! I need to do this because... (enter excuse here on why you need this busy schedule, for me, I need to do this so I can graduate on time!)"

Well. I have another tid-bit of advice to assist you in your busy life!

If you have taken on a bit too much during a semester and you're feeling like your school work or your state of life is suffering, always always always talk to your internship boss first. Say you're there 3 days a week and you really want to cut back because you're classes are really hard. You can simply tell them the situation and ask if you can come in 2 days instead of 3. BE HONEST WITH THEM! You're boss will respect you for a) being honest and b) caring about your school work.

Don't expect sympathy from them if your "state of life" is suffering but you're only taking 2 classes and you want some time off.

This is not an excuse for you to be lazy, silly pants! Internships are important, they give you the experience you need for the "real world". And these people in charge of your internship will be writing letters of recommendation. You definitely don't want them to write that you were a lazy S-O-B, now do you? Exactly.

Check out this story from a student who was overloaded. Accounting? Ouch. He needed to eat a little less of his mushroom.

Or how about this student who needs to look into an internship!

So, REMEMBER. Life is like a mushroom from Wonderland, if you bite off too much, you may get maxed out. Don't bite off more than you can chew! Do what you can. Intern when you can, work when you can. Keep college your number one priority. Organize your time so things in your life don't suffer! And if you ever feel overwhelmed, talk to your boss, they'll understand.

And always stay happy, healthy, and keep smiling.

Happy interning!

Love, Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment