Friday, October 2, 2009

Life's a Journey, but Don't Stop Believing!

Dearest internees,

In order to help you become the best intern EVER, there is one serious topic I want you to be knowledgeable on.

Walter Bagehot once wrote,
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

There is this thing people refer to as "the ladder". This "ladder" is an invisible thing you must climb in order to move up in the ranks. Whether it be from intern to paid employee or account executive to CEO. It is often understood that you must pay your dues, work your way up, in order to become "something". Everyone in corporate America knows about the ladder.

And, trust me, as an intern, you will hear about this "ladder". From employers, employees, family members, jealous colleagues, it's all about this DAMN LADDER.

Intern Alice Story:
When I worked at the TV station, I was convinced (as most girls going into television often are) that I wanted to be an entertainment reporter. I thought I could rock it and that is what I wanted to do, no questions. When I told one of the reporters who was showing me the ropes my dream, he told me "Oh, well, you can't just do that. You have to work your way up the ladder, first. Gotta start somewhere."

Little internees, let me be honest with you. I was devastated, heartbroken.
You tell someone your dream and they just tell you, No?
Just like that?
I can't just do what I want, what I love?
I have to do a bunch of things I hate before I can go do what I love??
It didn't matter how confident I was, it disappeared. My spirit, enthusiasm...my dream, died. Just like that.

That was, undoubtedly, one of the worst moments in my life, thus far. Not just because of what the reporter said, but because picking up the pieces afterward was a mess. I questioned myself: if that was what I REALLY wanted to do, what was I going to do with my life now? Does this mean I am not a good journalist? Am I just not good enough? My confidence was shot. And recovering from such a tough blow, it just wasn't easy.

Internees, I'm not telling you this story to scare you or to get sympathy from you. I want to tell you this secret, give you a clue to one of the most important lessons you will learn at your internship.

THE TRUTH is, he was right. There is a corporate ladder to climb. And you do have to start somewhere.
But that is for the people that settle. They settle for the inevitable ladder, they believe that is the only way to move up in a company. They settle for a cubicle, when their dream is an office or their own company. They settle for second best when they know they deserve number one.
I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS AN UNACCEPTABLE, UN RESPECTABLE WAY TO LIVE LIFE.
(I'm just saying there is another way!)
What I want YOU to do, my little internee, is this:
I WANT YOU TO NEVER, EVER, EVER GIVE UP.
In the words of the late Patrick Swayze, "No body puts Baby in a corner."
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something, that you can't go somewhere, that you can't change the world. BECAUSE YOU CAN. You absolutely, 100% can. If you are motivated, determined, passionate then you can do anything in the WORLD.
You can say f%$& the ladder and fly to the top if you want!
You don't have to settle, you can live your dream!
HOWEVER.
I'm not going to tell you it's not hard work. Because it will be.
I'm not going to tell you you won't be disappointed. Because at some point in time, you will be.
I'm not going to tell you people aren't going to try and bring you down. Because they will.
I'm not going to tell you that you'll feel great. Because sometimes, you're going to think there's absolutely no hope.
BUT,
DON'T EVER QUIT.
DON'T STOP...
DON'T STOP BELIEVING! (I often listen to a little Journey ever now and then for inspiration!)
Because I may not know you, your story, your life. But I have faith in you.
And I am telling YOU, that you can do anything. No matter what anyone says!
So. Be confident, in yourself and all you do (like interning!). Be determined, never lose site of that dream you have. Beware of those who are NEGATIVE NANCYs who will say you CANNOT. Because you can. Remember the great words from Walter Bagehot (yes, at the beginning of the blog!) and know that IN THE END, after all the hard work and the waiting and the whining and the trials and tribulations and the tears, it will be SO WORTH IT.

Glee - Don't Stop Believing


Don't ever stop believing, in you.
Happy Interning!
Love, Alice


No comments:

Post a Comment